Fragmentary material. - References of documents on Irish Foreign Policy published by the Royal Irish Academy, Department of Foreign Affairs and National Archives, between 2002 and 2004 - Volumes including the texts of correspondence to and from Sean Lester - Some of the letters reproduced in these publications are not in the S. Lester's Journal and Papers, and vice-versa.
September 1930: the Irish Free State starts a three-year term as a temporary member of the Council of the League of Nations.
Papers partly classified by subject.
The Status of Danzig:
The Free City of Danzig was an autonomous Baltic port and city-state established on January 10, 1920, in accordance with the terms of Treaty of Versailles of 1919.
When Poland was reconstituted under the Peace Treaty of Versailles, the country was ensured a free and secure access to the sea by what is known as the Polish or Danzig Corridor, formerly territory of the ancient Polish province of Romorze. This restoration and establishment of Polish territory, taken from German occupation, made a frontier that cut right through eastern Germany, separating east Prussia from the rest of Germany. This partitioning arrangement was bitterly resented by Germans, and stood in the forefront of the Nazi programme for treaty revision.
Poland's interests in Danzig are both political and economic. The Versailles Treaty gave her charge of the foreign affairs of the Free City and, in 1922, also by treaty, Danzig entered the Polish Customs Union.
Danzig was placed under the protection of the League of Nation. The chief preoccupation of the League of Nations during that period 1934-1936 was connected with Danzig.
A point not generally recognised is that this "free city" was, in fact, a tract of territory nearly as large as Wales. Danzig included not only the Free City of Danzig proper, but several other considerable towns, and no fewer than 252 villages (SLP-1936-Aug-25-P). The Free City of Danzig was far larger than Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco or San Marino. It comprised not only Danzig itself, but several other considerable towns and no fewer than 252 villages (SLP-1936-Sep-22-P).